Friday, January 18, 2008

Si ella es bonita, da la un momento más.

Here in Cuenca, I am living with a not so typical family of five. My host mother has four children of her own, all in their 30's. Two of her children live in the house with us: Maria, a teacher and Patricio, a lawyer (It appears that I am destined to live with lawyers). Maria and Patrico each have a son, ages 6 and 11 respectively. This helps me greatly with my language skills because as we all know, children speak very clearly and slowly. I only have to ask them to repeat themselves three or four times before I understand half of what they say, but I figure that if I can understand them I can understand anyone.

The most interesting fact about my host family is that they share the same religious views as Mitt Romney. At first, when I was told this, I thought perhaps I had misunderstood them or that maybe it was even a joke they were playing on the gringo.

No.

This revelation gave way to many other thoughts. No coffee in the morning. No beer/wine/alcohol of any sort in the house. Will I be able to stay out late? Will they be mad if I come home not quite three sheets to the wind, but maybe two? How is this going to work?

On Wednesday we decided to go out for some drinks, then some Salsa dancing at la Mesa (The Salsa club). So before I left; out of respect for my family and their faith, I asked my host mother what time she wanted me to return. At first she said, "Whenever you like", but she went on to say, "Si ella es bonita, da la un momento más." In english: If she is pretty, give her some more time.

Relief washed over me, and I left the house for a great night.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Nick,

This is a great story . . . and I look forward to the sequel!

Life is like that, no? -- Si es bonita, da la un momento mas!

Love,

Bruce

Fred O'Rourke said...

Hope you were out late.

Dad

ken said...

Nick,
This is a great way to find out what you are up to. I look forward to the next adventure. It sounds like your host family is nice and will give you some flexibility. I know they appreciate the fact that you are attempting to speak Spanish. Most people appreciate the fact that someone from another country will make that effort. I can picture the experience you ha visiting the presidential palace considering the fluid political situation. I look forward to future stories. Ken

Michele Lail said...

MOMS are often cool that way.

Hope you got at least a couple sheets to the wind! And you were out late enough for the sun to greet you.