Sunday, July 13, 2008

Me Voy con Lagrimas


As I write this I am sitting in my room in Santiago for the last time waiting for a cab which will take me to the airport at 4:15 in the morning, sleep is not an option.

I have said my goodbye to my family; one of the hardest things I have ever done, and I must say that I am rather glad they are not accompanying me to the airport for I don't think I have the emotional fortitude for that.

I almost lost it when my host father said to me, "Has sido más que un hijo, has sido un amigo." This means, "You have been more than just a son, you've been a friend." He could not have expressed what I was feeling more perfectly.

For my final hours in Santiago my friend, Juan Pablo, hung out with me. We laughed and shared a few beers as we said goodbye. I walked him out, not knowing if and when I will see him again but knowing we enjoyed every second together.

Looking back on my time in Santiago makes me realize that it really was the adventure of a lifetime, hopefully one of many. The things I have learned here cannot be expressed in words, the stories will not do the events justice and there is no goodbye fitting for the friends I have made here.

But I most go on. Next semester I will be studying and interning (begging for change in the metro) in Washington, D.C. with several other Syracuse University students. Another group of friends for another set of adventures, hopefully with less running from the police.

Goodbye Santiago, it's been real.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome home son. And in DC, Uncle Nick will catch your ass.

Anonymous said...

Hey Nick!
Nunca tuve la oportunidad de despedirme.
Fue muy bueno conocerte y entrenar juntos. Realmente fue un agrado.
Me alegro que tu experiencia sudamericana haya sido provechosa y me siento honrado de haber participado un poco de ella.
El próximo año es el año de los Medias Rojas!!!

Un abrazo.