Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Profesora, te odio

The following is an excerpt from this morning's spanish class translated to english: 

Teacher: Can someone please describe to us what their home nation looks like using the terms we just discussed?

(A pause for maybe slightly longer than human reaction time)

Teacher:HALOOOOOOOOOO

Nick: Kill me.

And so continues an hour and a half every wednesday. To call it frustrating is an understatement. I believe maddening is more to the point.

Whenever someone is talking she wants us to act interested and say things like, "Oh really?" because that is what latinos do; according to her. I am neither latino, nor do I care about the geographical specifications of Massachusetts.

We then somehow got on the topic of rain in southeast Asia, and someone asked how to say, "Monsoon", the teacher explained how to say it but then said that she was not sure whether or not there are monsoons in southeast Asia. I raised my hand and said that, in fact, there are monsoons in southeast Asia. To this she responded, "Oh really, you know this for a fact?" I reaffirmed the fact that monsoons occur in southeast Asia to which she responded, "So you've experienced this then?"

No, I haven't. But I get the effing discovery channel, and I've seen Forest Gump. Globalization rules.

I did, however, have a revelation about her teaching style. It is actually very effective. If I don't make errors when I speak, I don't have to hear her speak. Win win. My spanish gets better and she stays quiet.

In other news, my Latin American politics class is canceled for tomorrow, this would be the 5th class that will not be occurring. I love this country.

1 comment:

Fred O'Rourke said...

Just remember that notwithstanding the ancellation, you are still responsible for the material that would have been covered. ;-)

el Padre