Thursday, March 6, 2008

Que te vayas bien, Catcher!

O Catcher! My Catcher! Our great journey is done;
You have drooled over every snack, you never missed a crumb;
The big guy is near, your squeaks I hear, as you prepare your greeting,
To your bed you do not heel, your bone in mouth and gleaming:
Squeak squeak bark! bark! bark!
O its just the cat instead,
Elsewhere my Catcher lies,
Your sleeping cold and dead.

O Catcher! My Catcher! Rise up and sound off!
Rise up- for you the scraps are flung- for you the big guy whistles;
For you Iams and canned pumpkin- for you the cat is punking;
For you they call, Smokey and Morgan, their eager noses rising;
Here Catcher! Dear brother!
This arm beneath your head;
It is some dream that at the vet,
You're sleeping cold and dead.

My Catcher does not answer, his nose is pale and still;
My brother does not feel my arm, he has no pulse nor will;
The boy is in Chile safe and sound, his voyage just begun;
The world stops not, massive lot, continues with things to be done;
Drive, O cars and fly, O planes!
But I, with mournful tread,
Walk the world where my Catcher lies,
Sleeping cold and dead.

2 comments: