Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Carnaval, parte uno

On  friday evening I went for drinks and a light dinner with some friends at a small establishment named Monday Blue. A good time was had by all, but I had to return home to change, and drop off my bag before heading back out for the night.

En route to my house; unbeknownst to me, several younger citizens of Cuenca were taking part in the festivities of Carnaval. This generally involves hurling water balloons at pedestrians. Whilst walking underneath their balcony, totally oblivious. I water balloon was dropped perfectly on to my head, knocking my sunglasses to the ground and rendering them useless.

After I got over the fact that my 100 USD sunglasses were now part of the sidewalk, I started to plot my revenge. When I arrived home I quickly changed clothes and began filling water balloons. Once sufficiently armed, I called my compadre. We met in Parque Calderon; about a block from the previous incident, to plan our attack.

We loaded our pockets with "bombas de agua" and set out to seek vengeance. We casually strolled up to the balcony where the victimizers; soon to be victims, stood guard. I opened fire in a fashion that resembled a mob hit. My first hurl landed just above my enemy's head, my second and third volleys landed directly in the house of my targets. Perfect.

They then returned fire with their buckets of water, but our evasive maneuvers were too effective and we escaped, dry as a Dukes martini.

3 comments:

W. W. Crossett IV said...

Nick,

Sounds like you are geting an education! You Missed a great meal from the hands of chef Homer and waitress Lil on saturday night.

Uncle Homer

Nick said...

i'm sad i missed it. i was preparing to wait for 12 hours in the lima airport.

Aunt Mary said...

Sounds like a great game for the SCO. Glad you are having a good time. We are enjoying it too.