Saturday, February 23, 2008

Hotel Europa, el placer fue tuyo.

I recently had the privilege to stay at the esteemed Hotel Europa or Montevideo, Uruguay. The lobby appears to be 1980's chic whilst the elevators are 1930's chit; the breakfast room is attached to the lobby.

The room was slightly larger than a prison cell, with a bath en suite. The beds reminded me of The Great Escape in the sense that we could have used the wooden slats that supported the gymnasium wall foam-padding mattress to support the walls of our escape tunnel; which would have been necessary if we had to stay there any longer.

I am not sure but, I believe that my pillow was made out of the bottom of a seat from an old airliner. What I am sure of is that in case of an emergency water landing, it would have floated.

The bathroom was complete with a sink, toilet, shower and even bidet. There must have been some sort of sale when they were building the hotel. The bathroom was very well supplied with a bar of soap and one single roll of toilet paper for the duration of my stay.

A few words of caution to any of you planning to stay in Satan's colon for your next trip to Montevideo. It is not allowed to use your laptop during breakfast, and you are not allowed to eat where you are allowed to use your laptop. The only two places in the hotel where the wireless works. Yes, I was amazed that they had it.

The best part of the stay had to be breakfast. When I got off the elevator I was greeted by the sound of a tinny piano, played by the Uruguayan knock-off version of Sam. Please, don't play it again.

2 comments:

Fred O'Rourke said...

Your Grandfather Henry use to say there are two ways to travel, 1st class or with children.

ken said...

Nick,
Its great to read your comments. I guess you will learn Spanish much better as you learn to prove every statement you make. I hope that the experience with your Chilean family will continue to be positive and that you get a chance to travel throughout the country.
It also sounds like politics is not as we have been led to believe. All the best on your continued experience in Chili.